Standing on rising-ground 67 miles from London, Bexhill is an ancient town home to a number of historic sites, Edwardian and Victorian architecture, and one of the first Art Deco buildings - the De La Warr Pavilion. Since 1989 the town has been twinned with Merris, France.
With a current population of over 41,000. The town is proud of its long beaches, diverse countryside, independent traders and traditional culture. The economy set to expand with the new trunk roads and business parks being built to the north.
You can see how Bexhill's street names came about by searching for an address or by reading The Story of Bexhill Street Names.
The name Bexhill was originally Bixlea from the 8th century, then followed by the Doomsday Book's Bexelei meaning 'glade where box trees grow'. It is thought that a misunderstanding in language during the 13th century turned the second syllable into 'hill'.1
The Bexhill Town Flag first flew in public in 1893, after a committee headed by Viscountess Cantelupe formulated its design on 29 July of that year. It was registered with the Flag Institute in March 2020.2 The white, red and green colours are still used today, most recently as a colour scheme for the East Parade shelters.
The arms were officially granted by the Herald's College on 21 January 1907. The Martlets and border are taken from the Arms of the County of East Sussex. The Mitre is that of the See of Chichester which, for a long period, held ownership of the Manor of Bexhill. The Estoile Sable is the crest of the Sackville Family. The Demi-Lion and the Demi-Hulk of a Ship are representative of the Cinque Ports. The Mallard is representative of the Brassey Family.3